The UvA offers a prestigious new scholarship programme for exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe.
In addition to the admission requirements of the Master’s programme eligible candidates are selected on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- The candidate’s academic records. Students belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply;
- The academic quality of the educational institute where the undergraduate (or graduate) programme has been obtained;
- At least two letters of reference from academic staff members;
- The quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme (broader context, relevance for future career);
- A description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student commissions, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- Proof of English proficiency (IELS/TOEFL).
Candidates wishing to apply for an AES programme must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering; for more information please refer to www.DUO.nl). The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible Studiefinanciering support throughout the academic year;
- Be (provisionally) admitted to a Master’s Programme of the Faculty of Science. The application procedure will start as soon as you submit the online application form;
- On the basis of a completed questionnaire, the Coordinator will evaluate the candidate’s academic background. If the background is relevant, the Programme Coordinator will forward your application to the Exam Committee which makes the final decision. Read the full application procedure at the website of the Master’s programme of your choice.
The Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship (AES) is a full scholarship of EUR 25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes).
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the online application.
The coordinators of the MSc Programmes decide which students qualify to apply for the scholarship. The International Team will contact those students with the request to write an AES letter of motivation (maximum 500 words) in which the student explains the reasons for choosing the specific Science Programme (broader context, relevance for future career), addressed to the International Team of the Faculty of Science.
This letter should be accompanied with the other required application documents. Please note the letter may be sent by means of email to the International Team ([email protected]). The other documents, original certified and translated copies of your academic transcripts and secondary certificates must be sent as hard copies to:
University of Amsterdam, Faculty of Science
Education Service Centre / International Team
Science Park 904, room B1.28
1098 XH Amsterdam