Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) are pleased to offer range of PhD fellowships to students of high academic ability for 2017 entry. Up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and TWAS aims to assist international students who require financial assistance with scholarships specifically for International students.
TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy, working to advance science and engineering for sustainable prosperity in the developing world.
Applicants must be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017. Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Fellowship is available for pursuing PhD studies at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship;
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Applicants for doctoral study should also:
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC
- Hold a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September, 2017.
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language.
Fellowship awardees will receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 or RMB 8,000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all doctoral candidates after admission. All awardees will also be provided tuition and admission fee waivers.
Any fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice will face the consequences including:
- Termination of his/her fellowship;
- Discontinuity of his/her doctoral study at CAS institutions;
- Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
All the procedures will adhere to UCAS/USTC regulations and rules.
The funding duration of the fellowship is up to 4 years, divided into:
Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at UCAS/USTC, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Chinese Culture;
Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
- Upload all supporting documentation of your application via the online application system.
- Remind your supervisor to complete and upload the signed and stamped Supervisor’s Comment Page to our online application system.
- Send your supervisor an electronic copy of ALL your supporting documentations as well as the PDF file of “Application Form for CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme” which is generated by our online application system in ONE compressed file. Please DO NOT send any of your documentation directly to UCAS/USTC fellowship office.
- Remind your supervisor to print your documentations out, get them stamped where necessary and send them together with the signed and stamped hard copy of the “Supervisor’s Comment Page” to UCAS /USTC fellowship office before deadline.
- Remind your referees to send the original hard copies of their reference letters to UCAS/USTC fellowship office before deadline.
In order to apply, register HERE.
Attachment 1-1: Admission Application Form for International Students for UCAS
Attachment 1-2: Admission Application Form for International Students for USTC
Attachment 2: Foreigner Physical Examination Form
If you have any questions, please email : firstname.lastname@example.org.