The European Molecular Biology Laboratory is a powerhouse of biological expertise. With 27-member states, EMBL currently employs more than 1800 people with more than 110 independent research groups and service teams covering the spectrum of molecular biology at six sites in Barcelona, Grenoble, Hamburg, Heidelberg, EMBL-EBI Hinxton, and Rome.
EMBL has a global network of 10,000 alumni who are established, accomplished and excellent. 5,000 are members of the EMBL Alumni Association who support EMBL in following and advocating its news and programmes, serving on its advisory and recruitment panels, hosting, co-organising and speaking at EMBL events, and offering in-kind as well as philanthropic resources that support EMBL.
The post-holder will be part of the alumni team, which works closely with the wider group of advancement professionals, EMBL Strategy, International Relations, Training, Administration and faculty. The post-holder will interact pro-actively with colleagues across the institution to engage EMBL’s global network of 10,000 alumni in support of a wide range of strategic objectives. They will be expected to plan, organise and deliver alumni events and initiatives, run the alumni mentorship programme and support and contribute to the general activities of the Alumni Relations programme. They will report to and work closely with the Head of Alumni Relations.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities of the Role
- Track and report EMBL alumni engagement metrics, impacts and outcomes. This requires a good understanding of CASE Alumni Engagement Metrics, experience in working with a CRM and close collaborations with key EMBL stakeholders.
- Increase Alumni Association membership and alumni engagement: Collaborate with EMBL colleagues across all sites to identify how and where alumni can support the goals and mission of the organisation.
- Manage the EMBL alumni mentorship programme which is offered by EMBL alumni for the whole EMBL community.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition and stewardship activities to recognise the contribution of volunteers to the organisation.
- Engage with colleagues at peer institutions to benchmark EMBL’s work in this area, to ensure that EMBL is in line with sector best practice, and to showcase EMBL’s successes as appropriate.
- A degree plus minimum three years’ experience in alumni relations, events organisation and the delivery of volunteer engagement.
- Ability to engage with, and enthuse, a wide range of people, including staff, alumni, the wider scientific community, and colleagues across the sector.
- Excellent project management and organisational skills.
- Fluent English in written and oral capacity.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends approximately 8 times per year.
- Competence in a range of information technology applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint. CRM database experience as well as experience in web editing, online engagement tools and digital media will be an advantage.
- Other important languages for EMBL sites as German, French, Italian and Spanish would be an asset.
EMBL is curiosity-driven, community-oriented and international. As an inclusive, equal opportunity employer, we believe that diversity enables us to collaborate more effectively and be innovative in our approaches. We are, therefore, committed to creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. EMBL offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment. Competitive salary, a relaxed culture, ongoing professional development, an on-site nursery, canteen and library all make EMBL a great place to work.
Heidelberg, the headquarters location, offers an exceptional standard of living, together with superb wider employment and education opportunities.
How to apply?
For more information please visit the official website.