With the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme, the DAAD strives to contribute to promoting good governance and civil society structures in developing and emerging countries.
• offers future leaders master’s courses in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political, and economic development
• prepares them in a practice-oriented course for responsible positions in or for their regions of origin and contributes to establishing economic and social forms that are democratically oriented and designed to overcome social inequalities
Graduates from developing countries (bachelor or equivalent)
• with a well-qualified first university degree as a rule in the fields of social and political sciences, law, economics, public policy and administration
• willing to actively contribute to the social, political and economic development of their home countries/regions
• who have already gained practical experience relevant for the programme (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment)
Academic education in the master’s courses selected by the DAAD that are listed below, will take place from September/October 2023. The courses of study have an international focus and are offered in English and/or German.
Throughout their studies, all scholarship holders of the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme benefit from accompanying support services provided by the programme coordinators at the respective study locations.
Scholarship holders benefit from events and seminars organised specifically for them, as well as close exchanges with other international scholarship holders.
Planning also provides for participation in interdisciplinary networking events.
• Scholarships (of currently € 931 per month) for master’s courses at German higher education institutions.
• Health insurance cover in Germany
• Appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the respective developing countries
• A study and research grant
• Rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
• Preceding German language course in Germany, lasting up to 6 months. Participation is mandatory.
The following deviation regarding funding benefits applies for the ‘Social Protection’ programme, due to its blended learning concept: A sur place rate of € 500 per month is paid in the 4th semester (mandatory online semester in
the student’s country of origin or another developing country).
HOW TO APPLY
For more information, visit the official website.