Vacancy for Director at Centre for Innovation – Universiteit Leiden
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs, Centre for Innovation is looking for a
Director (1.0 FTE)
Vacancy number 17-287
As Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for guiding the Centre for Innovation (CFI) through its next phase of development. The CFI’s organisation consists of several innovation labs that have far-reaching responsibilities in terms of daily routines, partnership management and acquisition activities. The key challenge for the new Director will be to improve the impact of CFI by embedding the labs into the various eco-systems that they serve. The strategy to achieve this is to:
- Bring thought leadership on innovation (e.g. research, publications, conferences)
- Conduct innovation projects (e.g. concept development, rapid prototyping, etc.)
- Support the eco-system through education (e.g. workshops, executive education)
The Director divides his/her tasks between representative tasks, strategic outreach, business development and operational & financial management, all of which is CFI wide and not linked to particular thematic focus areas. The Director is also responsible for the overall development of the various CFI labs. See the centre4innovation.org website for more information on CFI.
- Position CFI with key stakeholders in- and outside of the university, with a strong focus on private and public sector partners working on global challenges and develop CFI as a key innovation accelerator for the relevant ecosystems;
- Calibrate and execute the CFI portfolio strategy: identify relevant technology trends and develop a vision for Leiden University and higher education in general;
- Facilitate CFI labs with the aim to inspire colleagues and initiate innovation throughout Leiden University and ensure alignment with CFI technology vision;
- Represent CFI inside of Leiden University and outside to its partners (e.g. Red Cross, WFP, UN OCHA, World Press Photo, HiiL) and develop or maintain contacts and (strategic) relations in the CFI network;
- Coordinate business development to ensure adequate funding for CFI and its labs;
- Financial and personnel management of CFI.
- Entrepreneurial with academic level of experience and /or education;
- Visionary about the future of technology and its impact on society;
- Trackrecord with innovation networks, startup accelerators and/or entrepreneurship in multiple ecosystems is an asset;
- Ability to communicate this vision and to inspire diverse groups of people inside and outside the university to explore, experiment and adopt relevant innovations;
- Talent for initiating and guiding initiatives aimed at tackling global challenges and entrepreneurial projects in a university context and/or international organisations;
- Experience with project governance, finances and acquisition trajectories;
- Ability to formulate and implement the HR-strategy and effectively manage teams;
- Excellent communication- and networking skills, creative and a team player;
- Professional proficiency in English, other languages are considered an asset;
- Able and willing to travel on a regular basis, including outside Europe;
- A relevant international network in the field of innovation is an asset.
The Centre for Innovation (CFI) is an entrepreneurial growth platform of Leiden University, located at the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs that works as an innovation accelerator for Leiden and its external partners. The Centre’s mission is to help prepare Leiden University for the digital future by identifying and exploring technological trends. CFI focuses on the areas of educational technologies, big data for peace and justice, and entrepreneurship.
The successful candidate will be part of an ambitious and dynamic team of Centre for Innovation. He or she will initially be appointed for a 2-year period, with the possibility for extension. Salary range from to €5,059.- up to €6,438 gross per month, depending on experience and in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, based on pay scale 14.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at http://www.workingat.leiden.edu/.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
If you have any enquiries about the vacancy or the procedure, please contact Karen van Muiden at email [email protected].
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to our Personnel Department at [email protected]. Only applications received no later than 15 August 2017 will be considered. Please mention the vacancy reference number and your last name in the subject of your email.