Utøya Training Course on Counter and Alternative Narratives to Hate Speech
The Youth Department of the Council of Europe and the EWC is organizing a 5-day training course based on “We CAN!” to support its wider dissemination through the national campaigns, and partners of EWC and the EEA and Norway Grants.
The training course will take place on Utøya in Norway, the site of the terror attack on 22 July 2011. As part of the rebuilding of Utøya following the terrorist attack on 22 July 2011, 3 the new memorial- and learning center, Hegnhuset, was completed during the summer of 2016. The learning center offers a unique opportunity for young people to reflect on what democracy means for them, what are the challenges and threats to democracy, and how they as active citizens can promote democracy in their everyday lives.
The EWC and Utøya have facilitated several workshops for young people at Utøya since the opening of Hegnhuset in 2016. The training course invites participants from the national campaigns who can act as potential multipliers in their countries. As such, it will be a great opportunity to both develop a comprehensive training programme on counter-narratives and hate speech, based on the two Council of Europe manuals that could be replicated and rolled out at national level through a European network of multipliers of the No Hate Speech Movement National campaigns and partners of the EWC and the EEA and Norway Grants
All participants should:
- Be experienced with conducting initiatives that take action on hate speech and/or discrimination and aim to strengthen human rights and democracy;
- Be active in one of the EEA and Norway Grants beneficiary or donor countries Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Malta, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal and/or the donor countries Lichtenstein, Iceland and Norway;
- Be in a position to transfer the gained competences in one of the EEA and Norway Grants beneficiary or donor countries;
- Have working knowledge of English.
- All travel expenses to and from the training venue will be managed and reimbursed according to the rules of the European Wergeland Centre;
- Visa costs will be reimbursed by the EWC. The EWC will issue an invitation letter that should facilitate the delivery of visas to attend the training course.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please read the official call.