Master of Arts in Political Science and International Relations (MAPSIR) at Nazarbayev University
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences(SHSS) at Nazarbayev University is accepting applications for an exciting Master of Arts in Political Science and International Relations (MAPSIR) degree program that is designed to train the next generation of highly qualified political scientists and government experts to meet national and global challenges. Launched in 2014, it currently has 20 graduate students. The strategic partner of the SHSS is the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA). Its social science program ranks as one of the top 20 in the world. 100% of MAPSIR graduates have found high-skilled jobs or enrolled in the prestigious graduate programs within 6 months of graduation.
About the Program
- The first world-class graduate level political science and international relations program in Kazakhstan
- 2-year funded all-English MA program with the study abroad possibility
- Taught by internationally recognized faculty drawn from North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia
- Advised and actively supported by the partnership with the Political Science Department of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA), ranked 15th nationally
- Focus on international relations, comparative politics, and Eurasian politics and societies
- Advanced academic training for pursuing careers in government, international organizations, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy
- Study in Astana, at the heart of Eurasia, with unparalleled access to government agencies, international organizations and foreign diplomats
- Campus with modern facilities, labs, library, sports center, housing based on need, and a monthly stipend 100,000 tenge for Kazakhstani citizens
- Awards “Master of Arts in Political Science and International Relations” degree
- Limited number of merit-based scholarships and discounted tuition fees for international students
MAPSIR is ideal for students who intend to pursue careers in government, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy. MAPSIR graduates go on to work for national and local governments, international organizations, and firms that interact with government agencies. The degree will also offer excellent training to students who wish to pursue further graduate work at the Ph.D. level. Only graduates with at least 240 ECTS credits (equivalent to a four-year undergraduate program or a three-year undergraduate program plus a one-year Graduate Diploma) are eligible for admission to the graduate program.
A fee waiver and a monthly stipend (100 000 KZT) for Kazakhstani citizens; discounted tuition fee and a merit-based NU scholarship may be available for international students; and accommodation on campus (if needed)
Every applicant to the M.A. in Political Science program is required to submit an application package online in English (or notarized English translation) by the deadline of April 10, 2017 (inclusive).
The application package should include the following:
1. Three confidential letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to comment on the abilities of the applicant in an academic or professional setting and are familiar with his/her achievements and future aspirations.
2. A personal essay giving the reasons for seeking an M.A in Political Science and International Relations at Nazarbayev University.
3. One essay in English with thoughtful answers in response to the essay questions provided in the application form
4. Notarized copy (-ies) of Bachelor’s (or its equivalent) and/or other degree diplomas with transcript(s); Applicants who obtained Bachelor’s (or its equivalent) and/or other degree diplomas from foreign educational institutions must request their official transcript(s) to be sent to Graduate Admissions Department directly.
5. Valid English language proficiency test reports (academic IELTS or TOEFL). The minimum score requirements for each exam are as follows:
|TOEFL paper-based test score – 600;
TOEFL internet-based test score – 100 (with a minimum 21 in each);
IELTS test score – 7.0 (with no score below 6.0 in any element)
or evidence of native competence.
6. Valid GRE Test Report (General Test) (preferable);
7. Notarized copy of the applicant’s identity card or passport;
8. Resume/curriculum vitae.
9. Completed application form. The online application form is available at http://admissions.nu.edu.kz
The Final Deadline for submitting applications online is Monday 10 April 2017 (inclusive)
Successful candidates will be notified by email by 1 July 2017 at the latest
For further information, please visit the official website