Japan Foundation Scholarships: Master & PhD in Sustainability Science
UNU-IAS is now accepting applications for September 2017 admission to our postgraduate degree programmes, the Master of Science in Sustainability, and the PhD in Sustainability Science. Those who expect to receive a required degree before September 2017 are also eligible to apply.
The Japan Foundation for UNU (JFUNU) Scholarship is available for outstanding applicants from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance, and they will be considered as candidates for the award of the scholarship. The United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is a leading research and teaching institute based in Tokyo, Japan.
- Have a strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- A completed bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university or institution of higher education in a field related to sustainability (Master studies);
- A completed Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies and a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes (PhD studies);
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for the bachelor’s degree earned;
- English language proficiency.
- A monthly allowance of 1,200 USD for living expenses for a maximum of 24 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student;
- The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients. 1,277 USD is the average monthly living cost for an international student without dependents in Tokyo, although this amount may vary depending on the lifestyle of the student.
How to Apply?
The application for admission should be submitted online. Applicants will need to create a user account to submit their applications. The online form can be saved and returned to at any time before submitting.
Applicants must submit all application documents online. Please visit the UNU-IAS website pages for our degree programmes to find out more about the application requirements and process.
Interested applicants should submit the following documents in addition to the application documents required by UNU-IAS. Please upload the following documents under section 7c of the online application form.
- ADB-JSP Information Sheet;
- Certificates of annual income of the applicant;
- Certificate of family income (parents’ income if single or income of the spouse if married).
The application deadlines are 28 February 2017 for the Master’s degree programme, and 28 April 2017 for the doctoral degree programme.