Global Shining Light Award
Entries are invited to be submitted for the Global Shining Light Award presented by Global Investigative Journalism Network, to honor investigative journalism in a developing or transitioning country, done under threat, duress, or in the direst of conditions.
Each year dozens of journalists and media workers are killed – and hundreds more are attacked, imprisoned or threatened – just for doing their job. Many of these violations of free expression occur in developing or emerging countries, and quite often during military conflicts. There are a number of international awards recognizing such attacks on freedom of expression.
On behalf of the global investigative journalism community, GIJN is pleased to recognize and celebrate the courageous investigative journalists and their work.
The journalist, journalism team, or media outlet provided independent, investigative reporting, which:
- Originated in and affected a developing or emerging country;
- Was broadcast or published between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2016;
- Was of an investigative nature;
- Uncovered an issue, wrong-doing, or system of corruption which gravely affected the common good;
- And did so in the face of arrest, imprisonment, violence against them and their families, or threats and intimidation.
The winner receives an honorary plaque, USD2,000, and a trip to the 2017 Global Investigative Journalism Conference to accept the award in front of hundreds of their colleagues from around the world.
How to apply?
In order to apply please fill the application.
For more information please visit the official web page.