The Network for the Advancement of Social and Political Studies (NASP, https://www.nasp.eu/) at the University of Milan is pleased to announce the Call for Application for:
7 Scholarships in the 3-years Ph.D. Programme in Political Studies (POLS)
The Ph.D. programme in Political Studies is based at the University of Milan and jointly promoted by the following departments, members of NASP:
- Department of Social and Political Sciences (SPS), University of Milan
- Department of Political and Social Sciences (PSS), University of Pavia.
The programme aims at training highly skilled professionals who may be employed as researchers in academic institutions, think tanks and research centres, as well as advisors and officers in politico-institutional bodies, (ministries, EU bodies, UN agencies, etc…), socio-economic institutions (Oecd, ILO, etc..) , no profit organizations (Trade unions, ETUC, ITUC, Ngos, etc..) and private companies.
The programme offers a two-levels training. First, the acquisition of a common background in the fields of political science and political philosophy. Second, a personalized training along the four specialization paths:
- Institutions and Public Policy focuses on contemporary political systems with particular reference to: functioning of parliaments, governments and other political institutions at the national, local and European levels; public policy analysis and evaluation; welfare and labour market policies; democracy and democratization;
- International Studies aims to provide tools to interpret the international dimension of politics and the processes of mutual conditioning between the domestic and the external spheres by discussing the main themes of the theory of International Relations, and analysing the most important sub-regional systems and the main international actors’ foreign policies.
- Public Opinion, Political Communication and Political Behaviour delves into the analysis of the electoral processes, of the role the main actors involved play, of their communication strategies with the citizens, and of how the latter build, express and translate into electoral behaviors their attitudes towards politics.
- Political Theory offers an in-depth study of the main paradigms that orient the contemporary debate on political philosophy, normative political theory, and applied ethics, and provides the necessary competences to build political arguments, to evaluate their theoretical and practical implications, and to elaborate conceptual frameworks to treat politically relevant issues.
The programme extends over a three years period. All classes and teaching activities are in English.
In order to apply for the Ph.D. Programme, applicants are required to possess either an Italian Laurea Magistrale, a Master’s Degree or any equivalent degree.
Applicants who expect to obtain an Italian Laurea Magistrale, a Master’s Degree or equivalent within October 31, 2020 are also eligible to apply for admission.
The scholarship is approx. of 16.000 EUR gross per year (up to 3 years). A 50% increase of the scholarship is provided for visiting periods abroad. Starting from the second year, students are also awarded a research budget amounting up to 10% of the yearly scholarship.
How to apply?
Full information on how to apply is included in the official call for application.
For more information on POLS Ph.D. Programme please visit this link.
E-mail: [email protected]