Call for Applications – Mozilla Fellows for Science – 2017
Deadline: 14 May 2017
Open to: applicants from all over the world
Fellowship: a stipend of $60,000, health insurance, childcare allotment, allowance and domestic and international trips
This week, the Mozilla Science Lab is launching our third annual Mozilla Fellowship for Science program. Starting in September 2017, we’re sponsoring researchers to build projects in support of science, and we’d love for you to be a part of that process. The call will be open until May 14th, with further details in the application, but we wanted to call out some of the amazing features of the fellowship and especially encourage our community to apply!
Keep in mind, this year we’ve opened our fellowship call up to our global community and to all scientific research disciplines. Potential fellows from all over the world, from physical, natural, life, social and library sciences are welcome and eligible, and we look forward to reading your applications!
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be currently employed at a research institution
- have the ability to accept outside funds for this fellowship directly (i.e., not distributed through the institution)
- be an early-career researcher (i.e., graduate students, post-docs, research scientists, lecturers)
- specialize in scientific research: physical, life, social, library, or natural sciences
- be able to travel
- obtain support from their advisors. As fellows will be based at their home institutions, please note that a letter of support from their advisor is mandatory for consideration
- have experience participating in open communities
Fellows will receive:
- a stipend of $60,000 USD*, paid in 10 monthly installments
- a one-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $3,500 for single Fellows to $7,000 for a couple with two or more children
- a one-time childcare allotment of up to $6,000 for families with children
- an allowance of up to $3,000 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship
- coverage in full for all approved fellowship trips – domestic and international
We’re looking for researchers with a passion for open source and data sharing, already working to shift research practice to be more collaborative, iterative and open. Fellows will spend 10 months starting September 2017 as community catalysts at their institutions, mentoring the next generation of open data practitioners and researchers and building lasting change in the global open science community.
Throughout their fellowship term, chosen fellows will receive training and support from Mozilla to hone their skills around open source, data sharing, open science policy and licensing. They will also craft code, curriculum and other learning resources that help their local communities learn open data practices, and teach their institutional peers.
The call closes May 14, 2017 at 11:59PM EDT.
In order to apply, .
If you have any questions, check the or write to: [email protected].