Call for applications: PhD Internship applications are now accepted at UNU-WIDER
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE concentrates on relationships between advancing science and technology for human security. In addition to its scientific core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to five UNU entities in Bonn (http://www.bonn.unu.edu/). The central administration units include Finance, Human Resources, Information Communication Technology, Communication Services, Procurement, and General Administration. These units also assist with the administration of new UNU initiatives in Europe and Africa. For more information on the organisation, please visit www.vie.unu.edu.
UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
This Unit provides strategic communication services for all UNU entities based in Bonn with an overall priority on UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS). This includes press and media work, public outreach drafting articles, newsletters and flyers, handling of publication production, as well as website and social media development and management.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Communications, Digital Media, Journalism, Mass Media, Public Relations, or related field
- minimum of two (2) years of professional experience in a communication role
- ability to synthesise complex information and write engaging, informative content under tight deadlines
- excellent drafting and editing skills with strong attention to detail
- innovative thinker who closely follows development in the field of communication and adapts new approaches in a strategic manner
- ability to independently familiarise him/herself with the UN’s style guide and apply it consistently
- high familiarity with all forms of communication materials (website features, press releases, social media posts, fact sheets, flyers)
- familiarity with the international media landscape and journalist working practices
- experience with using mass mailing tools an asset
- fluency in oral and written English is required; knowledge of another UN language would be considered an asset
- excellent time management, forward planning, and prioritisation skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- ability to work well in an intercultural team and in close coordination with academic staff
- ability to travel internationally often on short notice
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by e-mail (to firstname.lastname@example.org), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae and a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisation
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement 2017/UNU/ViE/PSA/CA/42
– – – – – – –
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8)