Call for Applications for 6 Full-time (Tenure-Track) Researchers in Mexico
Call for Applications: 4 full-time researchers (tenure-track) for the research department and 2 full-time researchers (tenure-track) for the Laboratory of Research and Innovation in Education (LINE) at CREFAL.
Preferably starting in September 1 st , 2017.
Contract type: Initial appointment will be for one year. Subject to the approbation of the academic committee, a further 6-year tenure-track contract will be offered.
Closing date: Open until filled.
The Centre of Regional Cooperation for the Education of Adults in Latin America and the Caribbean (CREFAL) is an international organization specialized in young and adult’s education and learning, and the development of the young and adults in Latin America; from a policy and practice setting. CREFAL was created in 1950 under UNESCO’s Fourth International Conference and is based in Pátzcuaro, Mexico. It focuses on research and teaching that can have a positive impact in the region.
CREFAL and the Laboratory of Research and Innovation in Education (LINE) at CREFAL is seeking to recruit six educational researchers to contribute to the objective of generating empirical evidence, regarding young and adult’s education and learning, and adult development, that can be applicable and reproducible by educational authorities in Latin America and the Caribbean. The successful candidate will contribute to CREFAL’s research department and LINE´s evolving activities related to our research pipeline, and will be expected to help secure funding for the ongoing research initiatives. Our pipeline currently includes, but is not limited to, the following topics: inclusive access to education, post-secondary education; social mobility; 21st century skills; labor training, dignified work and entrepreneurship; gender and education; health education, education for peace; effective teaching and teacher training; mind, brain and education; adaptation to technological change, education technology, education for sustainable development and global citizenship. The successful candidate will focus on the qualitative and/or quantitative aspects of research; and will work collaboratively with other multidisciplinary education researchers.
The successful candidate will:
- Identify, along with educational authorities and other relevant actors, research initiatives that are relevant to the Latin American and Caribbean education policy and practice setting.
- Draft and propose research initiatives.
- Present research outcomes to a variety of audiences.
- Publish research outcomes in relevant education journals.
- Secure funding for other research activities, with the support of CREFAL’s research department.
- Develop professional networks.
- Collaborate with the teaching department.
Required Skills and Experience
- Doctoral degree (completed or expected before January 2018) in Education, Cognitive or Educational Psychology, Sociology of Education, Economics, Neurosciences, International Development, Public Policy or another relevant field.
- Knowledge of learning and teaching theories, as well as the current education policy and practice agenda in the region.
- Strong experience with quantitative and/or qualitative (mixed) research methods.
- Highly organized and comfortable working with tight deadlines under little supervision.
- Comfortable working with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Sensitive to cultural differences.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience in Latin America and/or the Caribbean is a strong asset.
- Experience or interest in young and adult’s education is a strong asset.
- Experience in Randomized Control Trials (RCTs) is an asset.
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese is an asset.
- Questionnaire development and/or fieldwork experience is an asset.
- Experience working/researching in deprived communities is an asset.
What we offer
- A very competitive salary.
- Relocation expenses.
- Health insurance.
- On campus housing.
How to apply
Applicants should submit a representative piece of work (job market paper) and a cover letter together with their CV no later than July 29th , 2017, via email to Eugenia Garduño (email@example.com) and Francisco Cabrera (firstname.lastname@example.org). Short-listed candidates will be invited to present their papers at CREFAL. The successful candidates will be expected to start working in Pátzcuaro by the first week of September.
Informal enquiries about this role can be addressed to Roberto Franco (email@example.com).
CREFAL is keen to increase the number of women among its scholars and thus encourages women to apply. The centre supports its members in reconciling professional and family responsibilities and offers familyfriendly study, working conditions and housing. Women, disabled persons and ethnic minorities will be given preference if equally qualified. It is recommended to refer to a possible handicap in the application.