UN Young Leaders Programme
Last September, the United Nations announced the inaugural class of the Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals – 17 young change-makers whose leadership is catalyzing the achievement of the Goals. From food to fashion to finance, the Young Leaders come from many different backgrounds, represent every region in the world and help activate young people in support of the Goals.
Convened by the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, these Young Leaders are recognized for their leadership and contribution to a more sustainable world. The Young Leaders come together as a community to support efforts to engage young people in the realization of the SDGs both through strategic opportunities with the UN and through their existing initiatives, platforms, and networks. Young Leaders will be expected to actively support one or more of the following objectives:
- Advocate for the Goals, in ways most accessible and relatable to young people across different contexts;
- Promote innovative ways of engaging their audiences and peers in the advocacy and realization of the Goals;
- Contribute to a brain trust of young leaders supporting the UN and partners for key moments and initiatives related to the Goals.
Each year, a new “Class” will be nominated through an open call for nominations and assessed according to robust selection criteria by a diverse selection committee.
The Young Leaders Initiative is powered by the Office of the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, in collaboration with the amazing partners. The Initiative is part of the Global Youth Partnership for Sustainable Development Goals, launched in 2015 and housed in the Envoy’s Office.
Young people who are genuinely leading fantastic initiatives which support the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals.
They might be a chef, a designer, a campaigner or a blogger. They might know all about the Goals or nothing at all. The important thing is that they are leading an exciting initiative that helps to meet one of the Goals.
Young Leaders must be aged 18-30 by 31 December, 2017.
Successful candidates will be selected based on the following considerations:
- Their demonstrated achievements in promoting and advancing sustainable development and youth participation;
- Their personal influence within their respective fields and reputation for inclusive and innovative leadership;
- The ability to command an audience, influence their contemporaries and inspire their constituents;
- Their demonstrated integrity, commitment to the SDGs and core values of the UN.
Successful applicants are expected to continue in their existing roles and serve as Young Leaders in an advocacy role. Being a Young Leader is not a full-time role but an advocacy function which should complement existing work. The function is honorary, non-remunerated and does not entail speaking on behalf of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth or the United Nation
How to apply?
In order to apply, please fill the application.
For more information, please visit the official web page.