ISTC Internship Program 2017-2018 in Chicago, IL
The ISTC/I is offering a nine-month internship to provide direct experience working for a high-impact non-profit entity focused on technology-based economic development. This is an ideal opportunity for a young professional with an interest in the intersection of science and technology, public-private partnerships, state/federal level advocacy, program management, and STEM education.
About the ISTC
The Illinois Science and Technology Coalition (ISTC) is a 501(c)(6), member-driven nonprofit that measures, connects, and enriches the Illinois innovation economy. Created by the State of Illinois 25 years ago and located in 1871, we make powerful links between the state’s universities, industry, startups, and government to strengthen our economy and talent pipeline through data collection, policy advocacy, and programs. Our 501c3-affiliated Illinois Science & Technology Institute (ISTI) focuses on STEM education, delivering programs that connect companies with classrooms to better prepare the next generation of problem-solvers.
You will gain insight into how an established nonprofit functions on a granular level and how it provides value to partners and the broader community. You will get exposure to a variety of different organizations – large businesses, governments, other nonprofits – all working to position the state and the region as a place for technology innovation.
- Maintain and support ISTC/I’s social and digital presence, including managing a highly active social media presence – which includes the promotion of technology and innovation news and activities across ISTC’s network
- Assist in the development and distribution of ISTC publications, including our monthly e-newsletter Catalyst and the Illinois Innovation Index, which measures Illinois’ innovation performance across a variety of inputs
- Maintain and update/refresh ISTC websites – istcoalition.org and illinoisinnovation.com
- Assist in drafting and editing press releases and media outreach as needed
- Support ISTC/I’s programmatic efforts as needed – including the Corporate-Startup Challenge, our matchmaking program that connects corporations with early stage and emerging growth companies; and our STEM education programs, which connect some of the state’s most innovative companies with high schools over the course of a semester to work on authentic problems
- Assist program staff with events (periodic, but could include press events around data releases, board meetings, STEM education events, teacher training workshops, advocacy events, etc.)
- Attend events in the community and at ISTC member entities tied to research and development, technology, innovation, entrepreneurship
- Assist with the general operations of the organization, including but not limited to, clerical tasks including filing, data entry, contact and schedule management and provide support, as needed to ISTC President
- Bachelors Degree in public policy, journalism, communications, business, or relevant STEM field
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- An interest in science and technology, economic development, STEM education, and public policy
- Proficiency or familiarity with social media and blogging platforms, specifically LinkedIn, Twitter, WordPress, and HootSuite; MailChimp or similar software; and Adobe Suite including InDesign and Photoshop
- An ability to work independently and self-manage time
- Strong research and writing skills
HOW TO APPLY
Recent graduates and graduate students interested in the ISTC Internship Program should submit a cover letter indicating dates available, a resume, and a writing sample, to [email protected]. In subject line, please include [ISTC/I internship application]. This is a paid nine (9) month internship –targeting September to June – with an option for extension.