Dr. Liselotte Kirchner Scholarship Programme 2018
Applications are open for the research at the Francke Foundations in Halle: Dr. Liselotte Kirchner Scholarship Programme. The scholarship programme is intended for research on and in the Francke Foundations. It serves to expand and deepen the body of knowledge of its history from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries and to formulate new research questions.
The focus is on the usage of hand-written and printed sources available in the Foundations’ Archive and Library.
The following core themes offer a range of topics of particular interest. Current research issues, methodological approaches and subject-specific topics reaching beyond these themes are also welcomed, provided they are related to the Foundations’ history or its resources:
- Piety, science, and mediumship from the seventeenth to the nineteenth century;
- Transfer of culture and cultural contacts within Europe and with the extra-European world;
- Political, social and communication history in the eighteenth century;
- Protestant pietist movements and religious practice;
- Material culture and the history of early museum collections;
- The culture of remembrance, reception history, and image building;
- The institutions at Glaucha during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries;
- The Francke Foundations during the nineteenth century and in contemporary history;
- The Francke Foundations’ Publishing House and Library, history of books;
- The history of schools and educational history;
- Architectural history and history of art;
- The economic basis and administrative history of the Francke Foundations;
- The medical and pharmaceutical history of the Francke Foundations;
- The history of music and song culture.
The following scholarships are available:
- Three-month scholarships of EUR1,800 per month for established scholars from Germany and abroad for research in the Francke Foundations (postdoc). This sum includes all related costs, such as overnight stays, travel, insurance, working materials;
- Three-month scholarships of EUR 1,100 per month for young scholars for research in the Francke Foundations. This sum includes all related costs, such as overnight stays, travel, insurance, working materials, etc.
- Upon request junior researchers from outside Europe can receive a reimbursement of travel costs amounting up to €400.
- Recipients of a scholarship are required to reside in Halle, give a scholarly presentation and submit a short report on their research carried out within the context of the scholarship programme.
How to apply?
Candidates are requested to include the following documents in their application:
- Curriculum vitae;
- List of publications;
- A project outline of three to five pages explaining why it is necessary for the intended research to be carried out at the Francke Foundations and how the proposed research is embedded in the current research landscape;
- At least one letter of recommendation.
Applications for scholarships must be received in full by 31 October of the respective year. Applications by e-mail (as a PDF attachment) are required. The selection is carried out promptly after this date. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to begin their scholarship within one year, by 30 November of the following year.
For more information please visit the official website.