167 Canadian Government Scholarships for International Students, 2018
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually;
A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
Scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year.
Make sure you have the following or click the links to register:
- CCV account – a web-based tool that allows you to manage your CV data in a single repository and generate CVs as needed for all member organizations
- ResearchNet account – a web-based application tool and funding opportunity/decision database that is used by the Vanier CGS program
You should only have one CCV and one ResearchNet account. If you have already accessed ResearchNet and/or CCV, do not register for new accounts.
You need a CCV account to create a validated CCV (Vanier-Banting Academic template). See Task 4: Create CCV (Vanier-Banting Academic template) and link to ResearchNet application.
In order to apply, .
If you have any questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.