Weiser Professional Development Fellowship 2018
The Ronald and Eileen Weiser Center for Europe and Eurasia at the University of Michigan invites applications for the Weiser Professional Development Awards. The Awards support short-term research visits of 4 weeks or 3 months to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor and include round-trip airfare, housing, health insurance, and a modest per diem. Visits may be planned for the months of February, March, April, September, October or November 2018 only. Selection of 2018 awardees will be made through a competitive review of proposals at the University of Michigan.
These awards are made possible thanks to a gift from Ambassador Ronald Weiser, U.S. Ambassador to Slovakia from 2001-04, and his wife, Eileen Lappin Weiser.
- Faculty and artists teaching at institutions of higher education in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Georgia, Russia (Kaliningrad District), Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Serbia, the Slovak Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan may apply;
- Applicants should be actively engaged in teaching and must have a current appointment to which they intend to return. Junior and mid-level academics are especially encouraged to apply;
- All applicants must have earned a terminal degree, either their doctoral diploma or highest professional degree (e.g., M.F.A.) at the time of application.;
- Applicants should have a good command of speaking, reading, and writing in English. Applicants who have taken the TOEFL in the last three years should attach a copy of their score report. Personal statements, CVs, and letters of recommendation will also be evaluated for indications of English fluency. Per U-M policy, every visiting scholar must demonstrate English proficiency during an interview via Skype (or telephone) prior to arrival in the U.S. If a candidate is found to have insufficient English fluency, he or she will not be awarded a Weiser Professional Development Award and will be encouraged to reapply at a later date.
- The 2018 Awards support short-term research visits of 4 weeks or 3 months to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and include round-trip airfare, housing, health insurance, and a modest per diem;
- The Weiser Center will grant 5-7 awards for travel to Ann Arbor in February-April 2018 or September-November 2018.
How to Apply?
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application form;
- A copy of a doctoral diploma or the highest professional degree;
- A copy of a passport photo page;
- A two-page personal statement describing the research or collaborative project you plan to pursue at the University of Michigan, and your reason for applying for this opportunity, how this opportunity will benefit your home institution, your reason for selecting a 4-week or 3-month visit;
- An invitation from a University of Michigan school, department, and/or faculty partner with whom the research will be conducted; email invitation is acceptable (For more information about U-M departments and programs, consult umich.edu);
- One letter of recommendation from the rector or dean of your institution;
- Consent to participate in an interview via telephone or Skype.
For more information please visit the official web-page.