The Terra Summer Residency Fellowships 2021, founded in 2001, bring together doctoral scholars of American art and emerging artists worldwide for a nine-week residential program in Giverny, France.
The program encourages independent work while providing seminars and mentoring by senior scholars and artists to foster reflection and debate. The Terra Summer Residency provides an opportunity for participants to widen their academic and creative horizons, explore international cultural perspectives, and forge lifelong exchanges and professional networks.
- The 2021 Summer Residency is open to scholars only.
- Candidates worldwide can apply.
- Applicants must be either:
- A doctoral candidate researching American art and visual culture or its role in a context of international artistic exchange prior to 1980. Candidates at the dissertation-writing stage are encouraged to apply.
- A visual artist with a master’s degree or its equivalent at the time of application. Preference is given to applicants who have completed their degree within the past five years.
- As the program’s working language of the program is English, all applicants are expected to be fluent; knowledge of French is an asset but not required.
- Terra Summer Residency fellows receive:
- A $5,000 stipend (artists receive an additional $300 for the purchase of materials);
- A travel contribution (up to $500 for individuals traveling from Europe, up to $1,200 for individuals traveling from the US and Canada, and up to $1,500 for individuals traveling from other destinations);
- Lodging in the Terra Foundation residences and daily lunches. Due to the nature and format of the program, the residency does not accommodate family members (including partners and children) or other guests.
- In addition to a stipend, fellows receive on-site lodging, use of working facilities, and lunches for the duration of the residency.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must be recommended by their dissertation advisor or professor or previous art-school supervisor. Each professor may recommend a maximum of two candidates each year.
For more information, visit the official website.