Border securitization remains a salient issue for many countries in the context of recent domestic and international political developments. Important waves of transnational migration, the management of post-conflict areas, problematic transitions to democracy, the spread of terror attacks, the emergence of unconventional threats have contributed to a broad debate about the direction and intensity of border securitization in contemporary societies.
The conference aims to bring together works addressing any of these four elements of border securitization: the understanding, causes, functioning and consequences. The event will gather a group of 30 researchers working on these topics in order to facilitate the knowledge sharing and a better understanding of current events. The organizers encourage theoretical, empirical or methodological papers on any aspects related to developments and approaches in the field of border securitization.
The organizers strive for a balance between established academics, early career scholars (PhD candidates may also apply) and practitioners. Papers can cover any country or region of the world, there are no limitations in terms of geographical focus.
Depending on the quality, and scope of works, the organizers have in mind either a special issue in an international peer-reviewed journal or an edited volume with a high-profile publisher.
Papers can address any of the following topics including, but not limited to:
- Migration and border securitization;
- The role of international actors in shaping border securitization;
- Territorial rivalries and geopolitical challenges;
- The effects of border securitization on politics or economics;
- Border securitization and national security;
- Border management and international cooperation;
- The impact of terrorism or unconventional threats on border securitization.
- There is no conference fee;
- The organizers will provide accommodation and meals for the entire duration of the conference;
- In case of co-authored works, the organizers will cover the costs for one author.
How to Apply?
For any further inquiries, please contact the organizers at [email protected].
For more information, please visit the official web page.