The ICIMOD Mountain Prize is awarded every year to an individual, organization, or private sector entity based in the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) or beyond, which has demonstrated outstanding efforts enabling sustainable and resilient mountain development, outreach, or conserving cultural identity in the HKH region to benefit the environment or communities—particularly the poor, youth, or women.
Nominations will be accepted for those individuals, organizations, or companies that have advanced the mountain cause in the HKH through innovations in their various capacities, and brought about positive tangible change on the ground.
ICIMOD issues a first call for nominations in June of every year. It awards the Prize and Honorable Mentions to the deserving nominees on December 11 (International Mountain Day).
Any individual, organization or private sector entity that has done outstanding work in the field of sustainable and resilient mountain development in the HKH is eligible for the prize and can be nominated (hereafter referred to as ‘nominee’). The nominee must have made a demonstrable impact in sustainable mountain development. While we would like to particularly acknowledge the efforts of individuals or entities that have worked in line with ICIMOD’s mandate, this is not a pre-condition for the award.
Please note: application is also open to storytellers, photographers, filmmakers and artists.
Any individual can nominate any organization or a private sector entity or another individual that meets the eligibility criteria outlined above (1), including his/her own organization or company, for the prize. We expect the said individual (hereafter referred to as ‘nominator’) to be very familiar with the work of the organization or company or individual he/she is nominating. The nominator should nominate only after receiving the consent of the nominee (head of the entity in case of an organization or company). Self-nomination (nominating one-self for the prize) is not permitted and the nominator may nominate only once.
The prize is currently set at USD 2,500.
How to Apply?
Anybody wishing to nominate an eligible individual or organization or company for the prize must submit his or her nomination through this online form, which will be made public from June 19 through August 15. The nominator must provide accurate information on his/her nominee’s work and the impact it has brought about.
In particular, the nominator must:
- provide personal information on the nominee such as full name and contact address;
- specify in which work area(s) the nominee has made demonstrable impact;
- provide an overview of the nominee’s outstanding work;
- provide a credible narrative on how the nominee’s outstanding work has contributed to sustainable and resilient mountain development or/and brought about transformative change on the ground;
- provide an argumentation for why the nominee deserves to win the prize;
- provide supporting documents, including links to online articles, or videos, or publications that provide evidence of the nominee’s work and impact;
- provide contact information of two referees who also know the nominee well.
- statement vouching for the accuracy of the information provided through the nomination form
For more information, and in order to apply, please visit the official web page.