Applications are open for the Krzysztof Skubiszewski Scholarship and Research Grant 2020. The scholarship holder will be given the opportunity to conduct academic research in Poland during the 2020/2021 academic year in collaboration with the University of Warsaw or with another Polish university, in the field of law, political science or contemporary history. The Foundation will grant one scholarship and two research grants for the academic year 2020/2021.
The goal of the scholarship is to promote democracy, human rights, the rule of law, and the respect of law in international relations. The research grant is intended to finance a three-month or shorter visit to Poland, that will have the same purpose and will be organized in the same way as the research work in Poland financed by the scholarship.
The scholarship and the research grant are open to candidates from Central Europe, the Balkans, the Baltic States, Eastern Europe, Russia, Central Asia & the Caucasus;
The scholarship is open to candidates who hold a master’s degree or equivalent, and have successfully defended their doctoral thesis (or have other significant academic achievements) or have accomplished works of significant importance in the public interest, especially in the area of promoting democracy and the rule of law;
Preference will be given to candidates who are under forty years of age;
Proficiency in foreign languages, particularly English, will be an important selection criterion;
Proficiency in Polish is desired. If the scholarship holder has no sufficient knowledge of Polish, he/she will undergo an intensive Polish language course in the period immediately before the beginning of the academic year (in August and in September). If the grantee needs a Polish language course, the Foundation will organize the course during his/her academic visit to Poland.
- The scholarship holder will receive:
- a total of EUR 6,700, payable in monthly installments, in the case of a 9-month stay in Poland; if the stay lasts for less
- than 9 months, the amount paid will be proportionally reduced (the scholarship holder will have to pay revenue tax on
- this money, either in his country of permanent residence or in Poland);
- paid-up accommodation in Warsaw or reimbursement of accommodation expenses during his/her stay in Poland;
- travel costs for one trip from the place of permanent residence to Warsaw and back; and
- reimbursement of the cost of insurance covering emergency medical treatment in Poland.
- the foundation will allocate EUR 750 for the purchase of books or other material useful to the scholarship holder’s research.
- if the scholarship holder needs an intensive course of Polish, then the Foundation will bear the cost of the course and of board and lodging for the 1- or 2-month duration of the course.
The grantee will receive:
- a total of EUR 2,250 if the duration of the research visit to Poland is three months or, if the duration is shorter, an amount of money proportional to the duration (the grantee will have to pay revenue tax on this money, either in his country of residence or in Poland);
paid-up accommodation in Warsaw or reimbursement of accommodation expenses during his/her stay in Poland;
travel costs for one trip from the place of residence to Warsaw and back; and
reimbursement of the cost of insurance covering emergency medical treatment in Poland.
- The Foundation will allocate EUR 250 for the purchase of books or other material useful to the grantee’s research.
- If the grantee needs an intensive course of Polish, the Foundation will bear the cost of the course.
How to Apply?
For more information, and to apply, please visit the official website.