Three Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in Zurich
The University Research Priority Program (URPP) Language and Space at the University of Zurich seeks to hire three postdoctoral research fellows by September 1, 2018. The URPP explores the interface between language and space with regard to:
(a) the distribution of languages and linguistic structures in geographical and social space (“language areas”), and
(b) the embedding of speech in the spatial environment as shaped by perception, motion, and action (“interactional spaces”).
The URPP combines insights from dialectology, typology, and interactional linguistics.
The postdoctoral research fellow will develop his or her own profile and research agenda in coordination with the URPP board and the members of the URPP within one of the following five research groups:
- Accommodation and Social Categorization;
- Areal Morphology;
- Interactional Spaces;
- Spatial References;
- Systems of Nominal Determination in Contact.
A research agenda could, for example, engage issues of language contact and the areal distribution of linguistic features, address sociolinguistic aspects of the relationships between linguistic diversification, region, and social belonging, or explore the multi-modality of face-to-face interaction.
The postdoctoral research fellow is also expected to participate in applications for third-party funding, actively assist in the advancement of the core areas of research within the URPP, and collaborate with the Language and Space Lab (with the units GIS, Text, and Video), in which cutting-edge technology is employed to collect, process, and analyze linguistic data. The position includes teaching responsibilities (a maximum of 2h/week).
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in a discipline of linguistics as well as publications in their field of specialization;
- Applicants should aim to develop a research career in the field of language and space studies, are expected to be experienced in empirical methods of linguistic research (collection and analysis of linguistic data), and must be interested in the interdisciplinary advancement of theories in the area of language and space;
- The candidate is also expected to have a keen interest in collaborating with linguists with diverse backgrounds (e.g. dialectology, areal typology, interactional linguistics, sociolinguistics, computational linguistics, phonetics, general linguistics, Romance studies, German studies, Slavic studies, English studies, Sinology);
- Apart from English, applicants must have a good command of German or be ready to acquire sufficient competency within the first six months after taking up the position.
- The URPP Language and Space offers excellent working conditions for innovative empirical linguistic research and possibilities for vibrant collaborations within a highly interdisciplinary team;
- Postdoctoral researchers will have opportunities for professional networking and for further training in areas such as theory, methodology, and didactics;
- Salaries are granted according to the regulations of the canton of Zurich.
How to Apply?
- Applications should include a statement of interest (letter of motivation), a description of the research you would like to pursue (3-5 pages), a CV including a list of publications, and a copy of the applicant’s Ph.D. certificate.
- Applications should be sent as a single PDF file to [email protected], with the subject “Application PostDoc.”
- Applications must be submitted by May 15, 2018. The position is available from September 1, 2018, however the start date is negotiable. The duration of employment is intended for two years with the possibility of extension.
For further information, please contact Dr. Agnes Kolmer – [email protected]
For more information please visit the official call.
Објавата е преземена целосно од: http://www.mladiinfo.eu/2018/02/23/three-postdoctoral-research-fellowships-zurich/#ixzz5Eu1sMegy