Founded in 1636 and located in the heart of the Netherlands, Utrecht University is one of Europe’s leading research universities. We are recognised internationally for our high-quality, innovative approach to research and teaching.
As an international student, you’ll be in good company at Utrecht University. Every year, approximately 1,500 international students come to the university to take English-taught degree programmes and other courses. Students work and study closely together, learning to operate in an international environment from the outset. This is essential for scientists and scholars in our increasingly globalised world.
- Applicants who belong to the top 10% of the graduating class;
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans;
- Have completed your secondary school and/or Bachelor degree outside the Netherlands;
- Have applied for an international master’s programme with a start date of September 1, 2017.
The Utrecht Excellence scholarship can be awarded as:
- Tuition fees or;
- Tuition fees plus 11,000 EUR living expenses.
Read more about the budget the University advises. The funds for the scholarships come from the Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Fund, established by Utrecht University and from contributions by Utrecht University alumni.
How to Apply?
Submit the application for the Master’s programme. You will need to upload the following documents:
- Proof of belonging to the top 10% of your graduating class;
- An official document issued by your university that proves you are among the top 10% of your graduating class, such as a statement;
- Signed and stamped by your University, a reference letter, a class ranking certificate, etc.