UNHCR – Public Information Volunteer Internship 2017 in USA
The UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, was established in 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly to provide protection and assistance to refugees worldwide. In more than five decades, UNHCR has helped more than 50 million people restart their lives. Today, UNCHR staff in more than 120 countries continue to help and protect millions of refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people.
The Regional Representation of UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, in Washington, DC, seeks volunteer interns to assist in its Communications department. Interns will assist with advocacy and public awareness outreach to the general public, media, foundations, universities and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) regarding UNHCR protection and assistance programs and the needs of refugees and asylum-seekers.
- It is essential that interns possess a superior command of English with excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Word processing, database and internet computer skills, knowledge of international affairs and refugee situations are highly desirable;
- Interest and experience in communications preferred;
- Undergraduate or graduate students please apply;
- A sense of humor is welcome;
- Journalism students desired;
- Part time internships are available, with a minimum of 20 hours per week (2.5 days per week) on a semester/summer basis;
- UNHCR is looking for an intern with a background in journalism, communications, media relations, social media, multi- media skills and some content creation for the web.
- Training will be provided, however, it is preferable that applicants have some multi-media/new media skills in advance;
- They’ll gain a deeper knowledge of the work of UNHCR, as well as of the frameworks governing the organization’s interventions, rules and regulation and to practice and develop analytical skills and other professional working skills, such as project and time management, prioritization, teamwork, presentation skills, etc.
How to apply?
- Applications must be complete or they will not be considered;
- Please send resume, cover letter and brief writing sample and dates of availability to the Internship Coordinator, UNHCR, 1800 Massachusetts Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington, D.C. 20036, Fax: 202-296-5660;
- Email: [email protected] In your cover letter, please enter the subject line “Media and Communications Internship”.
For more information, visit the official website.