CfP: The 2nd Annual Conference on Academic Integrity, Astana, Kazakhstan
Higher School of Economics at KAZGUU University and Nazarbayev University have the honor to announce the upcoming 2nd Conference on Academic Integrity with the focus on University Governance to be held in Astana, Kazakhstan on May 19-20, 2017.
The aim of the conference is to share theoretical and empirical research on academic integrity; to debate best practices from around the world and to conceptualize new approaches.
Scholars, early career researchers, practitioners and graduate students from local, regional and international universities and institutions are welcome to join this conference and submit abstracts.
This double blind, peer-reviewed conference seeks abstracts which can be in the format of: case studies, research in progress, literature reviews and conceptual papers which address any of the three topic areas.
Presentations prepared for this conference are intended to make a substantial contribution to theory and/or practice.
PROPOSAL SUBMISSIONS ARE DUE BY MIDNIGHT, LOCAL TIME, FEBRUARY 10TH, 2017, to the following email: [email protected]
The Conference organizing committee invites young researchers to submit proposals to a special panel for junior researchers. This panel aims to encourage young researchers to engage with critical thinking on University governance issues. Proposals on any of the Conference themes can be submitted to this special panel.
(1)THE ROLE OF SENIOR LEADERSHIP: WITHIN & BEYOND UNIVERSITY
Today the role of senior leadership in universities cannot be overestimated. It is not limited to contributing to decision-making process within university on strategy, management, developing and implementing related policies. Senior managers are becoming more and more involved in developing effective local, regional and international partnerships and providing favorable environments for governance processes. We welcome papers that will address the role of Senior Management in developing and sustaining a culture of academic integrity; the obstacles experienced by senior management to developing a culture of academic integrity; strategies, policies, procedures and guidelines to embed a strong culture within academic institutions, and within individuals, systems and structures. We also aim to discuss implementation and feedback loops including the lessons from experiences within Kazakhstan, the region and internationally. Another area of interest is the analysis of the costs and benefits of academic integrity within the context of global of education and internationalization of student experience. Finally, we seek to analyse the reputation costs of predatory publishing and the importance of strong academic performance management systems.
(2) EXTERNAL REVIEW & INTERNAL ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT PROCESSES (ERIAMP)
ERIAMP focuses on both research and education. Within the research sphere, and external review internal academic management processes provide mechanisms for improved research and knowledge exchange, quality of research and creation of knowledge. In terms of learning and teaching, the external review and internal academic management processes focus on all credit-bearing courses to guarantee quality, rigor and integrity. Strong academic systems are relevant for both academically qualified and professionally qualified faculty. In young nations, the issues of the quality of academic research and management are critical. There are some success stories in the reform of the education system, as in Baltic republics, where the academic area was boldly transformed into a new system based on European standards. Prospective researchers and other professionals are invited to contribute papers on this Conference theme.
(3) BUILDING A CULTURE OF RESEARCH EXCELLENCE: THE ROLE OF GOVERNANCE
Creation and dissemination of new knowledge is among the central missions of a University. Research performance is one of the main criteria in global university rankings. Universities must foster a culture of research excellence to remain competitive and attractive. This task becomes even more important in the post-Soviet context. Historically, there were obstacles to developing internationally competitive research. This panel invites research leaders and scholars, from local, regional and international universities and institutions, to share their insights about creating and developing research capacity in a highly competitive global environment. Proposals highlighting skills and experiences transferable to new regional contexts, such as the post-Soviet environment, are particularly welcome.
Call for Papers: Deadline February 10th, 2017
Submissions must be received via email on or before midnight, local time, February 10th, 2017. Authors will be notified whether their papers have been accepted. If you have any co‐authors on your submitted paper, please make sure to provide all names and affiliation details.
Conference participation fee: $US 45 (15 000 KZ Tenge).
The registration fee should be paid to the following bank account only after receiving the confirmation.
The fee includes coffee-breaks, lunch and the conference proceedings.
Participants are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses.
If you have any questions regarding payment, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Relevance. The abstract should address an important research area or practical problem in the field of academic integrity and governance.
- Scope of interest. Abstracts with a broad regional and international interest to researchers and to practitioners will be preferred.
- Clarity. The abstract should be in English, it should be logical and offer clear implications for theory and/or practice.
HOW TO SUBMIT A PROPOSAL
Please submit your track proposal electronically to the following email: [email protected] submission system.
In your proposal be sure to provide the following details:
- Your name and institutional affiliation.
- Title of your abstract, and no more than five key words.
- State the category of your abstract:
- A case study
- Research work in progress (include your proposed research methods)
- An abstract of a full paper
- Literature review
- Conceptual paper
- State which of the three conference tracks is the most relevant for your submission:
- THE ROLE OF SENIOR LEADERSHIP: WITHIN & BEYOND UNIVERSITY
- EXTERNAL REVIEW & INTERNAL ACADEMIC MANAGEMENT PROCESSES (ERIAMP)
- BUILDING A CULTURE OF RESEARCH EXCELLENCE: THE ROLE OF GOVERNANCE
- Abstract (between 100 and 250 words)
- Please note whether you would like your submission to be considered for one of two special panels:
- early career researcher special panel; or
- special panel for research students.
- Deadline for Proposal Submission: midnight, February 10th, 2017
- Proposal Notification: February 28th, 2017
- Registration Payment: March 20th, 2017
- Final Programme: March 28th, 2017
- Full Papers Submission: April 20th, 2017
Conference Date: May 19th-20th, 2017
Venue: KAZGUU University and Nazarbayev University. Both universities are located in Astana, Kazakhstan.
In order to apply : https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com.docx